Yoga Alliance (YA) is the independent member organization that advances the development of yoga professionals and advocates for safety and accessibility in yoga. A related public charity, the Yoga Alliance Foundation (YAF), is an emerging field leader in yoga-based social impact.
Together, these two organizations support yoga teachers to more fully grow into their role as leaders in their communities. YA supports yoga teachers’ growth as professionals, giving them tools to effectively bring yoga into their communities. YAF develops vehicles for direct social impact, such as programs that enable teachers to serve within communities that have typically been excluded from yoga.
YA and YAF were founded to promote unity in yoga – so that all lineages, traditions and yoga organizations may thrive and all students may benefit from the gifts of yoga in the way that suits their needs best. We do this work so that the gifts of yoga can be offered effectively to more people.
The Director of Education will plan and implement a comprehensive strategy for member and public education that aligns with and promotes YA’s vision and mission, offers inspiring and engaging content that showcases the breadth of yoga and yoga teaching, and provides value to membership/would be attractive to potential new members. The candidate will be responsible for all member and public education program development, developing content that supports Yoga Alliance members in elevating their teaching (including continuing education) and finds new ways to engage the public with yoga, and is delivered through creative and appealing mediums and vehicles. The candidate will be responsible for program evaluation and growth, curriculum development and providing continuing education to our members, and managing a small project management/production team.
- Leads development of a comprehensive education program that supports YA’s approved vision, mission, and strategy, offers inspiring and engaging content that showcases the breadth of yoga and yoga teaching, and provides value to membership/would be attractive to potential new members
- Formulates and recommends programs, goals and objectives for education programs
- Creates, maintains, and evaluates educational content that supports internal and external stakeholders’ needs
- Actively participates as a member of YA’s leadership team, including providing clear, accurate, and timely information to the CEO + COO; listening attentively; engaging other leadership team members and supporting their projects; promoting inter-departmental collaboration; and supporting full execution of the organization’s strategic plan in all departments
- Acts as a liaison to other departments regarding education products and the education channel’s platform to elevate issues and subject matters
- Manages, trains and develops education team
- Works closely with MarComm which communicates education department initiatives
- Reviews, evaluates and reports on education programs
- Manages annual department budget and reviews monthly budget reports
- Ensures quality control of education program products and deliverables
- Manages and evaluates vendors and consultants as they relate to education services
- Additional duties as assigned
The Director of Education plays a critical leadership role within Yoga Alliance and will require a unique combination of skills in the areas of communications (oral, written, and visual), strategy, plus specific educational topic expertise. This person will have the following qualifications:
- Subject matter expert on the field of yoga and/or yoga teaching
- Minimum of eight years’ progressive professional responsibility for management and administration of comprehensive public/member education programs
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing yoga and social impact through yoga through own working experience or volunteer activities; passion for doing good in the world
- Leadership experience in the field of continuing education and CE credits
- Track record of developing and fostering long-standing, mutually beneficial relationships with stakeholders (education providers, thought leaders, and partners)
- Demonstrated commitment to integrity and excellence in their work, excitement to lead, and experience leading a team to new levels of effectiveness and programmatic impact
- Ability to work under pressure and remain flexible and adaptable as needs and priorities change
- Exceptional flair for strategic thinking
- Exceptional interpersonal, team building, listening, and facilitation skills; ability to work with senior management effectively
- Prior experience in a high-performing non-profit or association, or a startup organization
- Experience developing learning platforms and extensive knowledge of industry best practices for online and blended learning
- Strong oral, written, and visual communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in education or closely related field