The Yoga Alliance Foundation works to develop initiatives for yoga-based social impact, such as curricula for specific underserved communities. It cultivates programs for prisons, schools, and others, which enable teachers to more easily work in service and share the gifts of yoga with others. YAF is quickly moving from a young startup to a robust organization that requires raising philanthropic resources through innovative and creative development efforts to fulfill its mission.
Reporting directly to the COO, The Director of Development will research the current landscape and identify new, creative ways to begin building a field of donors from the ground up. He or she will manage a small, mission-driven development team to ensure healthy progress meets the expected growth of the foundation.
• Design development strategy for Yoga Alliance Foundation: Working with the management team, identify potential funders and approaches.
• Manage development team: Identify staffing and consulting needs for capital campaigns and ongoing development, and manage the team to those needs.
• Build a robust donor base: Identify, develop, and maintain key long-term relationships with donors and prospects.
• Fundraising: Conduct prospecting and/or application to multiple individual, foundation, and corporate funders.
• Communicate and train: Train and mentor development staff and communicate fundraising goals and progress throughout YAF.
• Degree: Bachelor’s degree in business or related field is required
• Development/Fundraising: Proven success in development for a nonprofit. Candidates with demonstrated experience and success building a fundraising program from scratch from multiple donor channels will be prioritized.
• Project Leadership: Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects, including coordinating with peers to achieve desired outcomes, and tracking and reporting on progress to senior managers/board of directors.
• Entrepreneurial Spirit: Takes initiative and actively seeks to forge and deepen donor relationships. Ability to work under pressure and remain flexible and adaptable as needs and priorities change.
• Communications: Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials. Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences.
• Influencing: Gets others to accept ideas by using convincing arguments, creates a win-win situation and responds appropriately to key stakeholders.
• Collaboration: Effective at working with others to reach common goals and objectives.
• Relationship Building: Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with funders and peers across different levels of the organization.
• Passion for yoga and doing good in the world
• Patience and sense of humor
• Excitement to Lead