Yoga Alliance (YA) is the independent member organization that advances the development and livelihood of yoga professionals and advocates for safety and accessibility in yoga. A related public charity, the Yoga Alliance Foundation (YAF), is an emerging field leader in yoga-based social impact.
Together, these two organizations support yoga teachers to more fully grow into their role as leaders in their communities. YA supports yoga teachers’ growth as professionals, giving them tools to effectively bring yoga into their communities. YAF develops vehicles for direct social impact, such as programs that enable teachers to serve within communities that have typically been excluded from yoga.
YA and YAF were founded to promote unity in yoga – so that all lineages, traditions and yoga organizations may thrive and all students may benefit from the gifts of yoga in the way that suits their needs best. We do this work so that the gifts of yoga can be offered effectively to more people.
The Vice President of Standards will oversee the implementation and adoption of, and accountability to, updated industry-wide credentialing standards and related efforts in ethics, diversity, professionalism and conscious evolution in yoga teaching. In doing so, and working in partnership with the senior leadership team, the VP of Standards will have broad responsibilities to execute a plan to evolve, communicate, implement and maintain standards and will manage two existing teams that support credentialing of yoga teachers and teacher training programs, and oversight of accountability.
- Provide senior leadership in the development and implementation of revised standards according to the YA strategy and operational plans
- Build an inclusive and non-coercive culture that meets the needs of YA members, partners, regulators and, ultimately, yoga students so that YA’s standards are broadly accepted and adopted.
- Act as one key listener and dialogue facilitator to yoga teachers, schools and students to ensure YA is serving the highest needs of our constituents to advance the field and promote teacher livelihood and not imposing overly burdensome or confusing standards on the industry.
- Serve as a visible spokesperson and champion for YA Standards with key stakeholders. Serve as an expert speaker on teaching standards at conferences and retreats, as needed.
- Support the President & CEO to ensure YA delivers on its commitments.
- Build and support a high-performing team of experts in YA standards and project management to support YA’s strategic plan. Motivate and support career development of team members.
- Ensure consistency across application of YA standards and work in collaboration with outside partners to support implementation of YA standards in a variety of settings.
- Ensure that all projects and partnerships achieve results on time and within budget.
- Establish and maintain new critical partnerships. Build relationships with leadership across external stakeholder organizations as well as related industries.
- Support organizational revenue through increased membership, business development, and sales, as necessary, to ensure the sustainability of the YA standards.
- Ensure integration of standards efforts with the YA Educational programs.
- Actively participate as a member of YA’s leadership team, including providing clear, accurate, and timely information; listening attentively; engaging other leadership team members and supporting their projects; promoting inter-departmental collaboration; and supporting full execution of the organization’s strategic plan in all departments.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting of departmental hours; billing (A/P and A/R); and results on strategic plan goals.
- Additional duties as assigned.
The VP of Standards plays a critical leadership role within Yoga Alliance and will require a unique combination of skills in the areas of strategy, project management, communications (oral and written), plus specific topic expertise. This person will have experience in the following areas:
- Demonstrated experience in leading change management efforts in complex not-for-profit/industry-wide environments, while incorporating culture and values; subject matter expert on continuing education of yoga teachers preferred.
- Excellent project management capabilities, demonstrated by at least 5-7 years’ experience managing or leading teams at a professional association, not-for-profit, foundation, academic institution, management consulting firm, political campaign, or investment firm.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing yoga and social impact through yoga through own working experience or volunteer activities.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, in particular team building, listening, and facilitation skills.
- Ability to put personal beliefs and opinions aside in service to organizational and field needs.
- Exceptional flair for strategic thinking.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Strong analytic skills with a track record of solving complex problems.
- Capacity to work successfully in a startup organization or organizational turnaround initiative.
- Strong relationship builder and communicator with experience leading diverse work teams, developing an organization-wide strategy for program excellence, engaging community partners, and partnering with a senior leadership team and board of directors.
- Demonstrated commitment to integrity and excellence in their work, and experience leading others to new levels of effectiveness and programmatic impact.
- Ability to work under pressure and remain flexible and adaptable as needs and priorities change.
- Impeccable assertiveness, tact, and diplomacy in handling confidential and sensitive issues.
- Exemplary service ethic.
- Sense of humor, ability to have fun, interest in building a strong culture and high performing team.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced professional degree preferred.